Q: International Safety Management Code.
ISM means the International Safety Management Code for the safe operation of Ships and Pollution Prevention.
- To ensure safety at sea, prevention of human injury or loss of life and avoidance of damage to the environment.
- Provide for safe practices in ship operation and safe working environment.
- Establish safeguards against all identified risks.
- Policy: company have to develop a policy for safety and environment protection policy.
- Procedure: Company to establish procedure to ensure safe operation of ships and protection.
- Designated person: Person ashore having direct access to the highest level of management.
- Master Responsibility and Authority:
- Resource and Personnel:
- Shipboard operations: Company should established procedures for the preparation of plans and instructions for key shipboard operations concerning the safety of the ship and prevention of pollution.
- Emergency preparedness: Company should established procedures to identify, describe and respond to potential emergency shipboard situations, and programmes for drills and exercises.
- Non-Conformities & Reportings: When any work goes out of plan. Company should establish procedures for the implementation of corrective action.
- Maintenance of the ship and equipment: Company should ensure inspection held, any Non-Conformity is reported, appropriate corrective action taken and all activities recorded.
- Documentation’s: Company should establish and maintain procedures to control all documents and data which are relevant to SMS.
- Internal audit: Company should carryout internal audit to verify all policy implemented.
- External audit: To verify company and ship are working as per SMS.
- Certification: Safety Management Certificate to be given to a ship after audit.
- Implementing the safety and environmental protection policy of the company.
- Motivating the crew in the observation of that policy.
- Issuing appropriate order and instruction in a clear and simple manner.
- Verifying specific requirements are observed and
- Receiving the SMS and reporting its deficiencies to the shore based management.
- Company should ensure master properly qualified and fully conversant with company’s SMS.
- Company should ensure each ship is manned with qualified, Certificated and medically fit seafarers and given proper familiarisation with their duties.